Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have the right to select the auto body repair shop that will repair my car?


In order to expedite your claim, we suggest you:

select the repair shop,leave your automobile there, and notify your insurance agent or company.

Do not drive a collision damaged vehicle even if your insurer tells you it is okay to do so. This is due to the loss mitigation portion of your policy, meaning YOU are responsible for any additional damage caused after the accident. Damaged vehicles are NOT meant to be driven. Any number of problems can occur. (Hood flys open, radiator overheats, etc. We have seen it all.)

Do I need to get three estimates?


Wisconsin law requires only one estimate, and from the shop of YOUR choosing. (Many insurers will ask for multiple estimates. Insurers think laws do not apply to them.)

Must I notify my insurance company before repairs?

Only the “insured” must notify their insurance company, not claimants (you are a claimant if the accident is the other person’s fault and their insurance company is paying for the repair.)

Who pays the repair bills?

You must arrange for payment.

Your insurance policy states the insurance company will pay you less any deductibles or depreciation. We can be of great assistance with this step.

Who is responsible for the repairs?

The shop.
That’s why it is important that you select a repair facility that is properly trained and equipped to restore your automobile to its pre-accident condition, and a shop “certified” by your vehicles manufacturer.

If my insurance company fails to process my claim or pay the amount agreed upon, what can I do?

First contact your insurance agent,
then talk to the Branch or Regional Claims Manager of the insurance company. If that fails, then contact the Wisconsin Department of Insurance at  (608) 266-3585

What is Diminished Value?

Diminished value is the loss in a vehicle’s market value due to accident damage and repair.

Three things affect diminished value:

Inherent diminished value: the automatic loss in vehicle market value from an accident.

Repair related diminished value: loss in vehicle market value due to substandard repairs.

Insurance related diminished value: loss in vehicle market value due to insurance claims practices.

Who is entitled to Diminished Value?

Claimants are —
if your vehicle has been in an accident, you have lost money. This loss is owed to you for up to two years.

Who pays Diminished Value?

Either your insurance company or the person responsible for the accident and their insurance company. Claimants are owed compensation for diminished value by law even if your vehicle has been repaired correctly. Based on our experience, we have identified some common pitfalls many consumers face when having their vehicle repaired.